Sunday, October 4, 2009

it's not the mascara, it's the brush

It's Jo. And it's October!!! I'm really sad that Liz and I never update this blog! We were full of ideas of what to post about until we finally made the blog and then we just got too busy! ugh.

Anyway, I do have one thing to say:

Christian Dior mascara has always been the best for my short, stingy, pale, easily-broken lashes. And by best, I mean it makes long, flowing, sweeping lashes where other mascaras leave hard, stubbly, slender black stumps. But it costs $24.00, and this is supposed to be a budget-friendly blog. Come to think of it though,
I'm not very budget-friendly myself (just ask my husband!) so maybe that's why it's so hard to update here--I can't confess all my price-y makeup purchases. Maybe I should start a non-budget-friendly blog also. That would be fun.

Anyhow, needless to say I don't actually buy Dior all the time, because it seems too extravagant (even for me) but I spend probably even more money buying $6, $8, $12 and $15 mascaras that I think might be almost as good. They never are. Until now:

So, yesterday, at Wal Mart, I found some mascara that does exactly as well as Diorshow. It's Maybelline Great Lash, but not the normal kind, the
new kind with that great big lushy brush. (Lushy Brush: say it out loud!) Stunning. And it's like $6. Same old mascara, different brush.



Which supports my long-held suspicion that all mascara is the same, it's only the brushes that are different. Oh, I'm sure there are different formulas and allergy-free and organic and whatnot, but if they have a skinny brush, they all work the same way: they don't. (except maybe for people who already have awesome eyelashes, and those people should shut up because they don't know what it's like to have eyelashes like mine.) So I am very happy that a drugstore brand finally stepped up to the plate.

It's about time. What's with all these super-skinny, comb-like, plastic brushes these days? It's a fad, but
why? I guess that's always the question with fads. It's so weird to live in such an affluent, advanced and "enlightened" society that we can devote hours of thought and paragraphs of ramblings (and in some cases, chunks of our paychecks) to something that makes our eyelashes longer and better.

Wishing you all luck with your eyelash endeavors,
~Jo (& Liz)

*Lushy brush is our made-up description of this brush, and does not appear anywhere on the packaging of this product. But it's really fun to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Jo

My photo
wife, mommy, language & history lover, thrifter and pianist.